Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Painting a Washer and Dryer (Update)


One of my most popular posts from my former blogging days was Painting a Washer and Dryer.  I'm a little honored that it has so many hits, so I wanted to give an update about how they are holding up.

I painted them over 4 years ago in our apartment, in the middle of the night, over several days.  Again, not the smartest move, but there's really nothing I can do about it now.  Since then, we have moved to a house and our laundry game has quintupled.  Our poor machines are ALWAYS in use and I really feel like any day now they are just going to stop working out of defiance.

But, the paint job has really held up well!  There are several spots that are flaking off, but not in any place I was expecting it.  All the high traffic areas (places our hands are most often, where we would set something on top of the machines) are just fine, but the chips are on the corners or sides.  Weird!  But, considering it was flat house paint covered in spray sealer?  I'm amazed.

I'm actually starting to tire of the color and pattern and have strongly considered painting over it.  A few things are holding me back though.  1) I don't want to invest all that time and energy if the machines are nearing the end of their lives. 2) I have a to do list a million miles long and this is waaaaaay down on the bottom of "wants" which is waaaaaaay down below "needs". 3) I already have a long list of crafting things I want to do, and this is at the bottom of that. 4) all my stencils are really small and I don't feel like buying/creating a newer, larger one at the moment.  All very much First World Problems.

So, all in all, if someone is shallow like me and just wants pretty machines, I recommend going to Walmart, scouting the reject paint shelf, and buying a good sealer.  I spent around $30 upgrading it and it has held up well to excessive use by a family of 6 over 4+ years.  Well worth the investment in my book!

No comments: